Farina Online Tour

Hover over buildings of the map of Farina to discover more. We are progressively adding more information about the buildings.

Farina Online Tour
Farina Cemetery Exchange Hotel Angels Rest Farina Post Office Farina War Memorial Patterson House New Police Station Old Police Station Transcontinental Hotel Flat Bed Wagon NSU 62 Diesel Locomotive Farina Cricket The Finn Family The Moffatt House

Farina Cemetery

The Farina Cemetery is maintained by the restoration group accessible to the general public. It is located about 1.3km past the Farina Campground to the west. Within walking distance however it is an easy drive as well.

See more information about the Cemetery

Exchange Hotel

The exchange was built in 1878 and known at "The Top Pub" in Farina.

For more information about the Exchange Hotel click here.

Angels Rest

The fireplace back and chimney flue

The history of the building known as Angels Rest is a little unclear and it is the best preserved of the timber buildings in Farina. It has had some preservation work done by the Farina Restoration Group.

Click here to see further information about the Angels Rest and photographs

Farina Post Office

Post Office 1898

Advertisements for tenders to build the Post office were made in June 1878 and the building was declared open on the 28th Sept 1878.

For more information about the Farina Post Office click here

Farina War Memorial

The Farina War Memorial was built by the Volunteers of the Farina Restoration Group to honour and remember the sacrifice made by men from Farina who serviced in the armed forces.

To learn more about Farina Servicemen click here

Patterson House

The Farina Cafe and Bakery building is known as the Patterson House, with the reconstructed building opened in 2021. It is on the same footprint and same external shape of the original Patterson House owned by the Patterson family who were once the lease holders of Farina Station.

Click here to see a slideshow of the construction

New Police Station

The New Police Station was built around 1935 and remained open until the 1950's.

Read more about Farina Police.

Old Police Station

The "Old" Police Station was established in 1894, although it wasn't the first as the Police Constables occupied tents near Well No 1 from around 1880.

To read more about policing at Farina click here

Transcontinental Hotel

The Transcontinental Hotel was constructed for Alexander Mackay (snr), designed by architect Thomas Burgoyne of Port Augusta and built by Messrs Ellis and House who reported that in September 1878 they had "completed ten rooms and the foundation of others". Evidently Mackay placed his son, Alexander (jnr), to run the hotel which was advertised as having "every accommodation including shower baths, first class stable and stockyards as well as keeping 'none but the best brands of ales, wines and spirits'".

For further information about the Transcontinental Hotel click here

Flat Bed Wagon

The W Class Bogie Flat Bed Wagon was moved into place in 2013.

Click on this link to see the photos from 2013

NSU 62 Diesel Locomotive

The NSU62 Locomotive ran on the original narrow gauge Ghan line and was moved back to Farina by the Farina Restoration Group in 2023, on loan from Steamtown in Peterborough.

See some of the photos from the relocation.

Farina Cricket

Cricket has long been a favourite sport played at Farina, and in recent times the Farina Restoration Group holds an annual match on the grounds.

Have a look at the photos from the 2024 match.

The Finn Family

The Finn family featured large at Farina.

Read about the Finn family here

The Moffatt House

The Moffatt family were an important family in Farina.

Read more about them here