Select Page

Transcontinental Hotel

Cnr 12th Street and 3rd Street, Farina, SA

The Transcontinental Hotel was constructed for Alexander Mackay (snr), designed by architect Thomas Burgoyne of Port Augusta and built by Messrs Ellis and House who reported that in September 1878 they had “completed ten rooms and the foundation of others”. Evidently Mackay placed his son, Alexander (jnr), to run the hotel which was advertised as having “every accommodation including shower baths, first class stable and stockyards as well as keeping ‘none but the best brands of ales, wines and spirits'”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Year Publican Links to License Grant
1878- Alexander Mackay (jnr)

 

1884-1886 Mrs Mary Martin  
1887 R R McDonald  
1890 Mary M McDonald  
1893 Bruce Jones  
1895 ? Maffison  
1896 ? McArdle  
1900-1904 Miss J McConville  
1905 Mrs Mary Durham  
1906 J Durham  
1907 A H Garrett  
1908 Chas Johnson  
1909 J G Wills  
1910-1912 Mrs Janet Wills  
1913-1916 William Darmody  
1917 P J O’Donnell  
1918 F G Wills  

 

 

 

The Transcontinental is built on Lot 297 which is on the corner of 12th and 3rd Streets, however the original land title included Lot 298 and Lot 328.

Access and searching of the Farina land titles (historical titles pre-1985) is available at this page.