Sarah REID nee RUSSELL
B: 13th Mar 1868 D: 18th Dec 1943
Born: 13th March 1868 at Culgoa River, in the District of Bourke, New South Wales. Her birth certificate number is 5662/1868 shows she was registered as Sarah Witmarsh, her mother’s name.
Married: Michael REID on 29 June 1885 at Milparinka, New South Wales.
Died: 18th December 1943 in Whyalla, South Australia at the age of age 75 and is buried in Whyalla Cemetery.
The historical information and photographs was generously provided by her family. The Farina Restoration Group greatly appreciates this information and gladly publishes it for the information of the public. If anyone has further information to contribute, please contact Brett and Shellie Cummings, descendants of Alice Martin, on email@example.com.
Father: John Jacob RUSSELL was born on 11th July 1844 in Nepean River, New South Wales and died on 25 December 1879 in Bourke, New South Wales. John is buried in an unmarked grave in the Bourke Cemetery. John’s parents were Jacob Russell and Sarah Evans.
Parents Marriage: John Jacob RUSSELL and Martha WHITMARSH were married on 6th June 1872 in Culgoa River, New South Wales. Her parents were married after the birth of their third child.
Mother: Martha WHITMARSH was born 13 May 1849 in Catsfield, Sussex, England and died on 4 July 1914 in Charleville, Queensland. Martha is buried in the Charleville Cemetery. Martha’s parents were Willoughby Windham Whitmarsh and Sarah Thorne.
Thomas Whitmarsh Russell was born on 10 November 1869 in Bourke, New South Wales and died in 1940 in Newtown, New South Wales.
William Russell was born on 25 May 1872 in Bourke, New South Wales and died on 9 October 1944 in Maryborough, Queensland. William was buried in the Maryborough Cemetery on 10 October 1944. William first married Helena Katherine Gunnourie on 12 December 1911 in Charleville, Queensland. Helena was born on 11 July 1886 in Taroom, Queensland and died on 29 February 1920 in Charleville, Queensland. Helena is buried in the Charleville Cemetery. William then married Edith Caroline Louisa Foster on 15 July 1922 in Brisbane, Queensland. Edith was born on 5 June 1884 in Gympie, Queensland and died on 25 June 1964 in Maryborough, Queensland. Edith was buried in the Maryborough Cemetery on 26 June 1964.
Hannah (Annie) Russell was born on 25 February 1874 in Bourke, New South Wales and died on 27 March 1940 in Tibooburra, New South Wales. Hannah was buried in the Broken Hill Cemetery. Hannah married Frederick John Gaiter in Tibooburra, NSW on the 12 June 1890. Frederick was the son of Herbert Henry Gaiter and Mary Ann Baldock. He was born on 11 October 1856 in Wheal Barton, South Australia and died on 18 January 1943 in Broken Hill, New South Wales. Frederick was buried in the Broken Hill Cemetery on 20 January 1943.
Martha Russell was born on 27 April 1879 in Bourke, New South Wales and died on 27 July 1960 in Charters Towers, Queensland. Martha was buried on the 28 July 1960 in the Charters Towers Lawn Cemetery age 86 years. Martha married Herbert French on 9 May 1896 in Queensland. Herbert was the son of William Everett French and Hannah Whitmarsh. Herbert was born 1866 in Mudgee, New South Wales. Herbert died on 26 July 1933 in Charters Towers, Queensland and buried 27 July 1933 in the Charters Towers Cemetery age 78 years.
- David Reid (Mickey) was born on 23 October 1886 in Queensland, died on 2 July 1939 in Broken Hill, New South Wales and was buried in the Broken Hill Cemetery. He married Isabella (Minnie) Elsie Lawson on 18 September 1929 at Bourke and Will’s Dig Tree near Innamincka, Queensland. Their wedding photo is on display in the Innamincka Hotel. Isabella was the daughter of Thomas Lawson and Elsie Louisa Taylor. Isabella was born in 1910 in South Australia, died in October 1986 in Camden Park, South Australia and is buried in the Centennial Park Cemetery, Adelaide on 8 October 1986.
- Martha Reid was born 1887 in Milparinka, New South Wales, died on 31 July 1959 in Whyalla, South Australia and is buried in Whyalla Cemetery. She married Patrick Joseph O’Reilly in Quorn, South Australia on 7 August 1905. Patrick was the son of Patrick O’Reilly. Patrick was born about 1867 and died on 25 July 1939 in Parkside Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia. Patrick was buried in West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide.
- John Jacob Reid was born on 18 April 1889, in Thargomindah, Queensland and died on 20 May 1957 in Moorook, South Australia. He married Marcella Maud Ferguson on 24 February 1912 in Farina, South Australia. Marcella was born 6 June 1890 in Beltana, South Australia and died on 30 October 1968 in Barmera, South Australia. She was the daughter of Alexander Cameron Ferguson and Catherine Smedley Shaw. They are both buried in the Old Barmera Cemetery, near Berri in South Australia.
- Dolly Reid was born on 27 June 1892 in Queensland, died 30 October 1971 in Toongabbie, New South Wales and was buried in the Rookwood Cemetery, Sydney, New South Wales. She married Hugh Gillies on 16 April 1913 in Queensland. Hugh was born in 1883 in Urana, New South Wales, died on 13 February 1957 in Winton, Queensland and was buried in the Winton Cemetery. Hugh was the son of Donald Gillies and Flora Francis Nicholson.
- Adam Reid was born on 15 October 1894 in Thargomindah, Queensland, died on 26 June 1927 in Farina, South Australia and was buried in the Farina Cemetery. He married Maud Shaw on 24 August 1920 in Solomontown, South Australia. Maud was born on 5 April 1897 in Stirling North, South Australia. She was the daughter of Alfred Smedley Shaw and Amelia Jane Arnold. Maud later married Horace Edmund Lancelot McConnal in Quorn on 10 January 1934. Horace was born 20 October 1892 in Adelaide, South Australia and died on 31 March 1964 in Quorn, South Australia. Horace was the son of William McConnal and Ellen Ewing. Maud died on 7 March 1979 in Quorn, South Australia. They are both buried in the Quorn Cemetery.
- Jane Tennant Reid was born on 25 February 1897 in Queensland and died on 12 March 1974 in Quorn, South Australia. She married Arthur John Hunt on 27 August 1916 in Beltana, South Australia. He was the son of Joseph Hunt and Nancy Carn. Arthur was born on 6 June 1896 in Farina, South Australia and died on 10 March 1973 in Quorn, South Australia. They are both buried in the Quorn Cemetery.
- Herbert (Fagon) Henry Reid was born on 19 August 1899 in Farina, South Australia and died on 9 July 1951 in Whyalla, South Australia. He never married and is buried in the Whyalla Cemetery.
- Mabel (May) Reid was born on 29 October 1901 in Farina, South Australia and died on 29 October 1982 in Whyalla, South Australia. She married Andrew Johnston on 3 February 1921 in Farina, South Australia. He was the son of Robert Johnston and Annie Lousa Oliveri. Andrew Johnston was born on 5 November 1898 in Farina, South Australia and died on 3 July 1979 in Whyalla, South Australia. Both are buried in the Whyalla Cemetery.
- Annie Evelyn Reid was born in 1904 in Marree, South Australia and died on 22 October 1980 in Broken Hill, New South Wales. She married George Henry (Harry) Robertson on 10 April 1924 in Copley, South Australia. He was the son of William Robertson and Clara Jemima Somerfield. George was born about 1902 in Tibooburra, New South Wales and died on 29 April 1976 in Broken Hill, New South Wales. Both are buried in the Broken Hill Cemetery.
- Sarah Eileen Reid was born on 28 June 1907 in Hawker, South Australia and died on 12 December 1979 in Tibooburra, New South Wales. She married Robert Henry Johnston on 30 December 1926 in Farina, South Australia. He was the son of Robert Johnston and Annie Lousa Oliveri. Robert was born on 18 August 1891 in Farina, South Australia, died on 22 November 1957 in Tibooburra, New South Wales. Both are buried in the Tibooburra Cemetery.
- Michael Reid (Mick) was born on 3 March 1909 in Hawker, South Australia and died on 3 April 1980 in Whyalla, South Australia. He married Kathleen Avon Arnold on 6 January 1938 in Beltana, South Australia. She was the daughter of William Arnold and Rose Selina (Mary) Sherry. Kathleen was born on 13 April 1914 in Lyndhurst, South Australia and died on 27 November 1978 in Whyalla, South Australia. Both are buried in the Whyalla Cemetery.
- Evelyn Mabel Reid was born 1 October 1911 in Hawker, South Australia and died on 13 November 1980 in Jamestown, South Australia. She married Thomas Benjamin Martin on 19 September 1929 at Farina in South Australia. Thomas’s parents were William Joseph Martin and Ellen Josephine Elena Callary. Thomas was born on 19 April 1900 in Birdsville, Queensland and died on 27 April 1973 in Jamestown, South Australia. Both are buried in the Jamestown Cemetery.
1 Michael REID b: 24/8/1863 d: 5/4/1924
+ Sarah (RUSSELL) REID b: 13/3/1868 d: 18/12/1943
2 David (Mickey) REID b: 23/10/1886 d: 2/7/1939
2 Martha REID b: 1887 d: 31/7/1959
2 John Jacob REID b: 18/4/1889 d: 2/5/1957
2 Dolly REID b: 27/6/1892 d: 30/10/1971
2 Adam REID b: 15/10/1894 d: 26/6/1927
+ Maud Shaw b: 5/4/1897 d: 7/3/1979
3 Herbert Reid b: 11/7/1920 d:
3 Thelma Maud REID b: 29/10/1921 d: 31/7/1981
3 Kenneth Michael REID b: 11/4/1923 d: 29/8/1971
2 Jane Tennent REID b: 25/2/1897 d: 12/3/1974
2 Herbert Henry REID b: 19/8/1899 d: 9/7/1951
2 Mabel REID b: 29/10/1901 d: 29/10/1982
2 Annie Evelyn REID b: 1904 d: 22/10/1980
2 Sarah Eileen REID b: 28/7/1907 d: 12/12/1979
2 Michael (Mick) REID b: 3/3/1909 d: 3/4/1980
2 Evelyn Mabel REID b: 1/10/1911 d: 13/11/1980
+ Thomas Benjamin MARTIN b: 19/4/1900 d: 27/4/1973
3 James (Jim) Reginald MARTIN b: 11/6/1927 d: 26/9/2009
3 Geofrey (Biff) Benjamin MARTIN b: 10/2/1930 d: 13/4/1989
3 Daphne Fay MARTIN b: 9/3/1932 d: 27/5/1991
3 Second daughter, still living, born 1934
3 Third daughter, still living, born 1939
3 Fourth daughter, still living, born 1944
This Biography is a summary extracted from the full document which is available to view in the “Further Reading” tab.
Sarah Russell was born on 13 March 1868 at Culgoa River, New South Wales.
Sarah’s parents John Jacob Russell and Martha Whitmarsh lived and work in outback NSW. Sarah’s parents married at Cocklerina (Collerina) Station in 1872.
Sarah’s maternal Grandfather Willoughby Windam Whitmarsh died on the 3 March 1873 and buried in Brewarrina Cemetery, NSW on the 4 March 1873. According to the Bourke Library, Willoughby W Whitmarsh was the original owner of “Old Ann Dora” Station in the 1850’s. Sarah’s maternal Grandmother Sarah Whitmarsh nee Thorne died 17 December 1866 and was buried on the 18 December 1866 at Andora Station, now called Corella Station. The current owners told me that they were a two of graves at the back of the homestead but because of a fire many years ago there is no way of identifying who is buried where.
Willoughby’s brother, Trayton Whitmarsh, and members of his family were the Lease holders of the Horse and Jockey Hotel.
In 1877 John Jacob Russell became the Lease holder of the Culgoa Hotel.
Sarah married Michael Reid on 29 June 1885 at Milparinka, New South Wales. When Sarah and Michael married, they were both residents of Yalpunga in New South Wales. Sarah had no occupation recorded and was 19 years old and Michael was employed as a “contractor” aged 20.
Sarah and Michael had 12 children. See the Family tab for details.
Family stories recall that Sarah and Michael lived a very transient life. In the years after their marriage, they lived in a wagon and tents travelling from one job to the next. Sarah gave birth to several of her children on a tarp on the ground next to their wagon. Michael’s occupations included bore sinker, dam builder, carrier, boundary rider and dog fence rider. Most of their life was spent in northern South Australia and western Queensland and New South Wales. Records show they lived in Milparinka, Thargomindah, Hawker, Farina, Murnpeowie Station and Nappa Merri Station.
As was the practise of the day, when their children reached working age, Sarah found work for them at that station they happened to be at and left them there when they went to the next job. It is likely the children would have only been 14 years old or possibly younger at the time.
Sarah moved back to Farina before Michael’s death in the early 1920’s, possibly from Innamincka. It is not clear why she was in Farina as it is believed she had no family there. It is possible Farina was the most suitable northern town and she set up a house for her family while Michael continued to work on Nappa Merrie Station.
According to South Australian Directories and Electoral Rolls Sarah left Farina around 1938. In her last years, Sarah lived with her daughter Mabel (May) and family in Whyalla, South Australia.
Sarah died on 18 December 1943 in Whyalla, South Australia at the age of 75.
Sarah was a true pioneer, working and living in some of our country’s harshest regions.
After Robert’s death, Sarah continued to life at Binerah Well as captured in the 1963, 1968 and 1972 Electoral Rolls.
Sarah died in 12 December 1979 in Tibooburra, New South Wales and was buried in the Tibooburra Cemetery.
There is no record of Sarah owning land at Farina.